Joe Hart has been told he won’t be in England’s 23-man World Cup squad.
Gareth Southgate is set to announce his final squad on Wednesday but it is understood that Hart will be a high-profile absentee.
Twitter: BREAKING: @SkySportsNews understands Joe Hart has been told he will not be part of England’s 23-man squad heading t… https://t.co/nSgK9Z6Xh0 (@SkySportsNews)
Hart had been the first choice England goalkeeper ever since the 2010 World Cup ended and had largely been unchallenged for the role until last year.
It is expected Jordan Pickford or Jack Butland will occupy the number one spot this summer, with Nick Pope now likely to be the third keeper.
The 31-year-old has had an indifferent season. Strong performances such as that away at Chelsea last month strengthened his chances of getting a seat on the plane, but several errors led to fans and pundits alike questioning his would-be position.
Following his fantastic game at Stamford Bridge, Hart dropped a shot against Stoke City to hand Peter Crouch a goal, and he failed to feature in the final four games of the season following a 4-1 loss at Arsenal.
This now seems to be the end of Hart’s England career after 75 caps and three tournaments as the first-choice goalkeeper.