Former Premier League defender Alan Hutton has claimed that Michail Antonio was a shadow of his usual self as he made his return to the West Ham starting lineup in Monday night’s 2-1 victory over Aston Villa.
The former Villa and Scotland right-back told Football Insider that Antonio “didn’t look right” during his brief outing as the 30-year-old was substituted at half time.
Hutton said: “From the word go I thought Antonio didn’t look right – fair play to David Moyes, he recognised that early on.
“There was one where he pushed the ball down the line against Matty Cash and Matty Cash actually got his body in the way and Antonio just didn’t even look up for the fight at that moment in time which kind of told me that he wasn’t right.”
Moyes had been understandably keen to include his talismanic striker once again after he had missed three games with a hamstring injury. However, the Irons boss may have later admitted the inclusion came too soon as Sebastien Haller – who had been deputising for Antonio – was introduced at the break.
The reasons behind the decision to include the striker and to change things quickly was also recognised by Hutton, who said: “I understand why Moyes brought him back in, he knew Villa would be a tough game for them, and he wants his top players playing so I do get the decision but, ultimately, it did backfire, but he was quick enough to make the change.”
READ WEST HAM VERDICT
There is no doubt Antonio was off the pace during his time on the pitch. The usual full-throttle energy was missing and that was perhaps down to a prompt return, niggling doubts over the injury or simply lacking match fitness.
One concern for Antonio may be the impact made by Haller in the second half – the Ivory Coast international would have counted himself unlucky not to start and proved his worth after coming on.
Moyes has a decision to make about his starting forwards when the Hammers host Manchester United on Saturday.





